Radio Free Europe Wins First Round in Court Against Trump's Shutdown Plan

By

Radio Free Europe Wins First Round in Court Against Trump’s
This photo taken on March 18, 2025 shows the logo on the facade of the headquarters of Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty (RFERL) in Prague, Czech Republic. MICHAL CIZEK/AFP via Getty Images/Getty Images

A federal judge has granted a temporary restraining order preventing the Trump administration from shutting down Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty (RFE/RL), a US-funded news organization. The decision is seen as a significant victory for press freedom advocates.

According to the NY Times, US District Judge Royce C. Lamberth ruled that the administration could not unilaterally terminate RFE/RL, stating that doing so would violate federal laws. His order allows the broadcaster to continue operating while the case moves forward.

"The leadership of the US Agency for Global Media (USAGM) cannot, with one sentence of reasoning offering virtually no explanation, force RFE/RL to shut down—even if the president has told them to do so," Lamberth wrote in his decision.

RFE/RL filed its lawsuit last week, arguing that the administration's decision to end its funding was unconstitutional. The broadcaster claims that Congress had already allocated money for its operations, making it illegal for the administration to withhold the funds.

"We're confident the law is on our side as the US Constitution grants Congress the exclusive power of the purse," said RFE/RL CEO Stephen Capus. "It is unlawful to deny us the funds that Congress has already appropriated for the rest of this fiscal year."

Before the hearing, the Trump administration agreed to release funds covering the first half of March but continued defending the shutdown order, which took effect on March 15.

Court Ruling Favors Radio Free Europe as Legal Battle Heats Up

The legal battle has sparked concerns about press freedom, as multiple lawsuits challenge Trump's broader plan to dismantle the USAGM, which oversees RFE/RL and other federally funded news agencies like Voice of America (VOA).

Several VOA journalists, press freedom groups, and unions have also sued, arguing that the shutdown would have long-term global consequences, CNN said.

"The long-term consequences of silencing VOA will reverberate globally, eroding the influence and moral authority of the United States," said VOA's former chief national correspondent, Steve Herman.

Judge Lamberth's ruling offers temporary relief to RFE/RL, but the case is far from over. He has ordered both sides to submit legal briefs this week and intends to rule quickly. The decision may set a precedent for other international broadcasters fighting to stay on the air.

Meanwhile, Radio Free Asia, another federally funded broadcaster, has already furloughed much of its staff and is considering legal action.

If the courts continue to rule against Trump's shutdown efforts, it could mean a major setback for the administration's plans to defund these organizations.

Tags
Trump

© 2025 VCPOST.com All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.

Join the Conversation